Ballotine of Turkey with Roast Potatoes, Carrots, and Cabbage
Fresh Food Ingredients
- 4 oz chicken breast turkey works too
- 1 bratwurst
- 4 strips bacon
- 2 tbsp bacon grease (olive oil can substitute)
- 8 oz chicken stock
- 3 med potatoes red or other roasting potatoes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 large carrot
- 1 lemon
- .5 head cabbage green cabbage preferred
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 small onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp butter
Dry Store Cupboard Ingredients
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 oz maple syrup
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp cranberry sauce
- 2 oz red wine optional
- Potatoes: Peel the potatoes and cut into large pieces and rinse. Place cut potatoes in a larege saucepan and cover with water. Add a dash of salt and bring to a boil. Cook potatoes until just tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and allow potatoes to cool. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Carrots: Peel carrot and cut into small batons. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Cabbage: Cut cabbage head in half, then quarters, and then into 1cm-wide strips. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Onions: Dice one small onion. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Garlic: Smash and chop garlic clove. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Fill a large saucepan with water and bring to a boil
- Tear off a sheet of aluminum foil, approximately 12 x 20 inches (cover with cling film on both sides?)
- On large cutting board, lay a sheet of parchment paper. Place the chicken breast on one half and fold the parchment paper over the top of it. Use a rolling pin to bash the chicken breast until it is less than 1/4-inch thick and about 4 x 6 inches in size.
- Uncover and season the chicken breast with salt and pepper.
- Remove the casing around the bratwurst and then place it down the center of the chicken breast.
- Using the parchment paper, carefully fold the chicken breast around the bratwurst, ensuring it is completely covered. Set aside for a moment.
- On the cutting board, lay the strips of bacon so that they are slightly overlapping. Then place the chicken/bratwurst log at the bottom and roll the bacon around the log.
- Place the meat roll onto the foil/cling wrap and roll up tightly and twist both ends like a Christmas cracker.
- Carefully place into the boiling water. You may have to put a small plate on top of it to keep it submerged.
- Lightly boil for 20 minutes or until the meat reaches 150ºF.
- Remove from the boiling water (and dump the water) and let the meat rest for 5 minutes.
- Remove meat from foil/cling wrap and drain off any excess moisture.
- In a frying pan, heat a bit of oil and then add the ballotine and turn regularly to add color. When it starts to brown, add a tablespoon of butter to the pan.
- When it is golden brown on all sides (and 160ºF internally) remove from the pan and let it rest for 5 minutes before carving.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into large pieces.
- Place in a large saucepan and cover with water and add a bit of salt.
- Bring to a boil and then turn down to simmer. Cook until the potatoes are tender when pricked with a fork (~15 minutes).
- Drain carefully and allow to cool and dry.
- Heat a roasting tray in the oven (375ºF) with a couple of tablespoons of butter.
- When the pan is warm and the butter melted, place the potatoes, garlic, and rosemary in the tray. Turn the potatoes to make sure they are covered with the butter.
- Place back in oven and turn every 10 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and drain on a paper towel. Serve immediately.
Slow Roasted Carrot
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Cut the carrot(s) into 5cm batons.
- Place batons in a bolw and lightly coat with olive oil and seasonings. Toss to coat.
- Place onto the lined tray and put into the oven.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until tender.
- Remove from oven and either drizzle or toss with maple syrup (or honey).
- Bake an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and drizzle with a bit of fresh squeezed lemon juice.
- Cut cabbage into 1cm strips.
- Place butter in a medium sized saucepan and melt over a medium heat.
- When the butter is fully melted, add the cabbage strips.
- Stir and cook until tender.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan.
- Add the onion and garlic and sweat until lightly golden.
- Add the flour and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Combine the stock and the wine and add a portion to the saucepan and cook until it begins to thicken. Repeat until you have added all the liquid.
- Continue to cook on a low heat until it is reduced by half.
- Add the cranberry sauce and cook until it is combined.
- Drizzle the gravy over the ballotine and plate.
First made as part of Sendible's (remote) Christmas party 2020.
Calories: 2106kcalCarbohydrates: 226gProtein: 62gFat: 107gSaturated Fat: 45gCholesterol: 250mgSodium: 1555mgPotassium: 5031mgFiber: 32gSugar: 72gVitamin A: 13538IUVitamin C: 363mgCalcium: 417mgIron: 10mgPrint Recipe