Basic White Bread
Based on the Blue Ribbon Bread recipe
- 1 Stand mixer whisk, kneading attachments
- 2 loaf pans
- 2 pyrex cup to melt shortening and butter
- 1 cake/brownie pan for water under the loaves in the oven
- 1 package active dry yeast .25 ounce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup warm water 110ºF (microwave for 23 seconds)
- 12 oz evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup shortening melted
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 cups flour bread flour preferred
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- In a large stand mixer bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in 1/2 cup warm water.
- Let stand until foamy, usually 10 minutes.
- Melt the shortening.
- Add evaporated milk, warm water, melted shortening, honey, salt, and 2 cups flour. Mix at speed 2 until combined.
- Add the remaining flour no more than a cup at a time kneading well between each addition.
- When the dough has pulled together and it trying to escape the bowl, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes.
Let dough rest
- Wash the mixing bowl and dry thoroughly. Coat with oil.
- Place dough in bowl.
- Cover with a damp towel and set aside in a warm place to rise until doubled in volume. About 1-2 hours.
- Once the dough has doubled in size, turn it out onto a countertop.
- Punch the dough down.
- Divide the dough in half.
- Roll each half into loaf shapes. Seal the seams by pinching.
- Melt the butter and use to coat the bread pans.
- Place shaped dough into pan and cover loosely with plastic wrap.
- Place in a warm area and let rise until the loaf is about an inch over the top of the pan, about 30 minutes.
- Fill the cake/brownie pan with about 1/2 inch of hot water and place in the oven on the bottom rack.
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Uncover the loaves and place on the top rack in the oven.
- Bake until tops are golden brown, about 25-35 minutes.
- When finished, brush the tops with butter and allow to cool a bit in the pan.
- When cool enough to touch, turn out of the pan and enjoy the first still-warm slice!
- When fully cool, wrap with bees wrap or place in plastic bag. Can be frozen.
Calories: 164kcalCarbohydrates: 29gProtein: 4gFat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0.3gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 219mgPotassium: 85mgFiber: 1gSugar: 5gVitamin A: 85IUVitamin C: 0.2mgCalcium: 47mgIron: 2mgPrint Recipe