Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 Dutch oven
Saute the vegetables
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 small onion yellow, diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper
- 3 cloves garlic diced
Mix the ingredients
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 15 ounces corn 1 can
- 10 ounces diced tomatoes with green chilies 1 can Rotel, undrained
- 15 ounces black beans 1 can, drained and rinsed
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2 small chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- 1 pinch Cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 1 ounce taco seasoning 1 packet or 3 Tbsp
- 1-1/2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/3 cup cream cheese softened
Sauté the veggies
- Heat 2 Tbsp butter over medium heat in the Dutch oven and add the diced onions and peppers. Sauté for 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
Mix the ingredients
- Add all remaining ingredients, except for the cheddar and cream cheese.
- Let the soup gradually come to a gentle bubble, partially covered. If the chicken boils rapidly, it becomes tough. Cooking it slowly keeps it nice and juicy.
Shred the chicken
- After 20-25 minutes, remove the chicken (be sure it is cooked through) and place on a plate or cutting board.
- Shred using two forks and return to the soup.
- Reduce the heat to low and slowly sprinkle in the shredded cheddar cheese and softened cream cheese. Keep staring until smooth and creamy. Make sure the soup isn't too hot or the cheese will separate and become grainy.
- Season with salt and pepper and anything else you think it needs.
- Garnish with a dollop of sour cream and green onions and serve!
Can also be made in a crock pot. Saute veggies according to the recipe then add to the crock pot along with the remaining ingredients. Cook on low for 6 hours before removing the chicken for shredding. Return to the crock pot and turn off the heat before stirring in the cheddar and cream cheese.
Serving: 1cupCalories: 185kcalCarbohydrates: 19gProtein: 16gFat: 6gSaturated Fat: 3gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0.1gCholesterol: 32mgSodium: 327mgPotassium: 423mgFiber: 4gSugar: 3gVitamin A: 460IUVitamin C: 7mgCalcium: 80mgIron: 2mgPrint Recipe