Linguine with Ham and Walnuts
- 8 ounces whole wheat linguine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 small shallots chopped
- 6 ounces spinach leaves (1 bag)
- 8 ounces mushrooms sliced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes crushed
- 1 cup walnuts chopped
- 8 ounces ham cooked, diced
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1/4 cup parsley fresh, chopped
Cook the pasta
- Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a rolling boil over high heat.
- Once the water is boiling, stir in the linguine and return to a boil.
- Cook the pasta uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the pasta has cooked through, but is still firm to the bite, 8-10 minutes.
- Reserve a cup of the pasta water before you drain well in a colander set in the sink.
Cook the ingredients
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Stir in the garlic, shallots, and red pepper flakes until the garlic is fragrant but not browned, about 3 minutes.
- Add the spinach and mushrooms and stir until the spinach is wilted.
- Stir in the walnuts and cook until the nuts give off a toasted smell, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the sliced ham and cook the mixture until the ham is hot and beginning to brown, about 5 more minutes.
Finish the dish
- Add the pasta to the skillet and lightly toss with the ham mixture. Add some of the pasta water as needed to keep it moist.
- Plate the dish and sprinkle with chopped parsley and parmesan cheese and serve hot!