Pasta with Fresh Tomato Sauce
A basic pasta recipe that's perfect for "doctoring up"
- 16 ounces whole-wheat penne pasta
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup Italian dressing
- 1/4 cup fresh basil finely chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion diced
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Add penne pasta to the pot and cook 10 minutes until al dente. Drain.
- Dice the tomatoes
- Dice the red onion
- Chop the fresh basil
- In a small frying pan, saute the onion.
- In a large bowl, toss the cooked pasta with the tomatoes, Italian dressing, basil, red onion, and top with Parmesan cheese.
Add additional vegetables such as green peppers or mushrooms. Sauté with the onions before adding.
Calories: 295kcalCarbohydrates: 50gProtein: 9gFat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 2gMonounsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 228mgPotassium: 246mgFiber: 7gSugar: 7g