Soft Molasses Cookies
- parchment paper
- Stand mixer
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1-1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup butter softened
- 1 cup sugar plus a bit more for topping
- 1/4 cup dark molasses
- 1 large egg
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- Line 3 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
Mix dry ingredients
- Sift the flour, baking soda, salt, and spices together. Set aside.
Mix wet ingredients
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. (If using a mixer, beat on high speed about 2 minutes.)
- Add the molasses and beat until combined.
- Add the egg and beat well until combined. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
- Add a little of the dry ingredients at a time to the creamed mixture.
- For dough into small balls (about the size of a golf ball) and roll in sugar.
- Place on cookie sheet about 3 inches apart.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until browned and edges appear set.
- Let cool on baking sheet for five minutes before transferring.
Can use shortening as a substitute for the butter. If you skip the parchment paper, use ungreased cookie sheets. Can substitute mace for ground ginger.
Calories: 90kcalCarbohydrates: 13gProtein: 1gFat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gPolyunsaturated Fat: 0.2gMonounsaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0.2gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 127mgPotassium: 45mgFiber: 0.2gSugar: 7gVitamin A: 126IUVitamin C: 0.003mgCalcium: 8mgIron: 0.5mgPrint Recipe