Sweet Wheat Bread
Makes one loaf of a great everyday bread
- Stand mixer with small bowl, whisk, dough hook
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Nonstick loaf pan(s)
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 cup water warm (110-115ºF / 43-46ºC)
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
To coat the bowl
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
Mix liquid ingredients
- Using the small stand mixer bowl, add the yeast, water, milk, brown sugar, honey, and vegetable oil.
- Use the whisk on speed 2 to combine the liquids well.
- Let stand for 10 minutes to foam.
- Add whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, and salt.
- Use the dough hook on speed 2 until dough holds together and doesn't stick to the hook, adding more whole wheat flour if needed (as much as 1 cup) or a bit extra milk if it appears too dry (no more than 1 tbsp at a time). If the dough looks elastic and is crawling out of the bowl, you're done.
- Turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead just a bit to shape into a round loaf. Don't over knead.
- Drizzle vegetable oil into a bowl and evenly coat the bottom and sides. (You can clean and reuse the bowl you mixed the dough in.)
- Add the dough to the bowl and turn it over a few times to coat with the oil.
Allow dough to rise
- Cover with a kitchen towel or plastic wrap and allow the dough to rise until doubled in size. This can take 1-2 hours.
Knead dough and prepare to bake
- When dough has doubled in size, turn the dough out and punch it down and then knead it 4-5 times and pinch the seams and roll it until smooth.
- Form into a loaf and place into a 9×5-inch nonstick loaf pan. You can coat the pan with (butter-flavored) non-stick spray if you'd like, but it is not necessary.
Allow dough to rise again
- Cover with a kitchen towel or plastic wrap and allow the dough to rise until it is 1-inch above the edge of the loaf pan. This can take from 30 minutes to 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF
- Bake in a preheated oven for 30-35 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool slightly before turning out and slicing. (But it can still be warm to the touch.)
Note that 2 tablespoons = 1/8 cup (for milk, brown sugar, honey, and vegetable oil). So if you double the recipe these ingredients should be 1/4 cup each. Add up to a 1/2 cup sunflower nuts as you mix the dough, if desired. Brush top with melted butter before baking, if desired. Heat the 1 cup of water in the microwave for 45 seconds to bring it to the proper temperature.
Calories: 190kcalCarbohydrates: 36gProtein: 5gFat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 101mgPotassium: 104mgFiber: 3gSugar: 5gCalcium: 14mgIron: 2mgPrint Recipe