Sweet Wheat Bread
- Nonstick loaf pan(s)
- Large bowl
- 1 cup water warm (110-115ºF / 43-46ºC)
- 1 oz milk
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- .5 tsp salt
- .5 tbsp vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, whisk water, milk, brown sugar, honey, and vegetable oil together.
- Add whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, yeast, and salt. Stir until dough holds together and doesn't stick to the spoon, adding more whole wheat flour if needed (as much as 1 cup).
- Turn dough onto floured surface and knead until it's smooth and doesn't stick to your hands.
- Drizzle vegetable oil into a bowl and coat the bottom and sides. (You can clean and reuse the bowl you mixed the dough in.)
- Place dough into the bowl and turn to evenly coat with oil.
Allow Dough to Rise
- Cover with a kitchen towel or plastic wrap and allow the dough to rise until doubled in size. This can take 1-2 hours.
Knead Dough and Prepare to Bake
- When dough has doubled in size, turn the dough out and punch it down and then knead it 4-5 times until smooth.
- Divide dough, if needed.
- Form each portion into a loaf and place into a 9×5-inch nonstick loaf pan.
Allow Dough to Rise Again
- Cover with a kitchen towel or plastic wrap and allow the dough to rise until it is 1-inch above the edge of the loaf pan. This can take from 30 minutes to 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool slightly before turning out and slicing. (But it can still be warm to the touch.)
Note that 2 tablespoons = 1/8 cup (for milk, brown sugar, honey, and vegetable oil). So if you double the recipe these ingredients should be 1/4 cup each.