Viking Skillet Bread
A variation of Irish Soda Bread.
- 3 cups flour whole wheat, barley, or oat flour works
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2-1/2 cups buttermilk
- oil to grease the skillet
- Preheat oven to 450ºF and gather ingredients.
- Oil the cast iron skillet.
- Sift flour, salt, and baking powder together in a bowl and make a well in the middle.
- Slowly add the buttermilk and mix together. Make sure the dough is moist.
- Move mixture into the skillet and pat into shape.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 450ºF then lower the temperature to 375ºF and bake for 20 minutes more (35 minutes total).
- Remove from skillet and allow to cool 30 minutes or so.
Calories: 238kcalCarbohydrates: 47gProtein: 9gFat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0.3gPolyunsaturated Fat: 0.3gMonounsaturated Fat: 0.3gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 836mgPotassium: 62mgFiber: 8gSugar: 2g